Monday, June 13, 2011

Nude Lips with Revlon ColorBurst lipstick in Fashion's Night Pout

I see the Revlon ColorBurst lipsticks every time I go to any kind of drugstore, and I'm always curious.  Don't ask me why this is the first time I've tried them because I really don't know!  I've heard great things about them (I think the best comment I read once was about them being one of the best lipsticks at the drugstore) and they come in a wide variety of colors.  I think what put me off for so long was that you can't actually see the color of the bullet; the color on the tube is practically spot-on, but I like to know exactly what I'm getting.
Anyway, I've been curious about the shade Soft Nude for a really long time- I just wasn't so sure how it would go with my fair skin.  And then I saw pictures of the LE Fashion's Night Pout pop up on various blogs and thought it looked promising (Even though I had read that if you had Soft Nude, you probably didn't need Fashion's Night Pout as they were quite similar).  Well, I FINALLY found Fashion's Night Pout after the longest time, so I snatched it up disregarding whether or not the shade would be flattering!
I'm not sure if it's the most flattering nude lipstick for me, but I'm glad at least I'm not wondering anymore. :)




First, I'll start with the packaging.  Everything I've read about these lipsticks is spot-on, the packaging is lovely for a drugstore lipstick.  I love the embossed pattern on the tube, and it feels heavier in my hand than some of my other lipsticks (which to me equals higher quality).  The imprinted "Revlon" on the actual bullet is also a nice added touch.

The Revlon ColorBurst lipsticks are supposed to be lightweight with a pop of color.  From the Revlon website:
Instant burst of rich, true color with a featherlight feel
Elasticolor™ technology provides immediate color release and hugs lips with a burst of weightless color that feels like a second skin.
So, how did the actual product live up to the claims?  (For this review I'll only be focusing on Fashion's Night Pout because I've only tried this shade and can't speak for the collection as a whole.)

Fashion's Night Pout is a neutral peachy beige with slight pink undertones.  This makes it a little easier to wear for fairer skin tones, but it still leans pretty brown on me.  Not the most flattering color for me, but it works, especially with a pinky nude lipgloss.  I think for most people this will be a good option for a nude lipstick.
The lipstick has a nice finish that lies somewhere between a satin and creme.  It gives a bit of shine and doesn't lay flat, but it isn't frosty.  This is one of my favorite kinds of finishes because it isn't matte (too clingy on lips) and isn't frosty or metallic (which just looks terrible on me!).



I don't know if it's just my tube, but I've noticed the product is a little hard to apply.  It doesn't "glide" on very easily and I have to do several swipes to get the result you see below.  It's not bad, but it kind of reminds me of some chapsticks that have a "harder" formula, if that makes sense.  I think this might have to do with the light color.
Once it's on, however, it's pigmented and lasts about three hours without a gloss or anything on top.  I noticed fading after that and I would have needed to reapply (but I was lazy and didn't, haha).  I don't know, I still have a thing about lipsticks.  I'm TRYING to get myself to like them but I think I'm going to stick mainly to lip glosses and stains after this- at least for nudes, anyway.  I love me a good red lipstick with gloss over it, but for a regular outing (when I assume most people would wear this nude lipstick) I'd just assume stick to a gloss.  Personal opinion, though!
Otherwise, the formula feels comfortable and I think it lives up to its "lightweight" claims.  It feels almost like a lip balm because it's so smooth and creamy.

This is an LE product, but from pictures it looks to be almost identical in color to Soft Nude.  And after this I'm definitely interested in trying some of the other 20 shades Revlon offers.

What about you guys?  Do you own this or Soft Nude, or any others?  How did you like them?