Tuesday, June 14, 2011

My Bronzer Collection (Reviews & Swatches)

Last week I showed you my favorite and least favorite self tanners, and this week it's my bronzer collection.  Tans are typically more popular during the summer months, so I figured this was a better time than any to do this post.  And I've just recently become obsessed with contouring, and a couple of the bronzers below are perfect for that!  All the ones I own are very affordable (with the exception of the MAC MSF which I received from a blog giveaway), although I'd love to try one of Tarte or Lancome's matte bronzers.  Keep reading to find out which of mine are my favorites and what purpose they serve best!

My bronzer collection all together!  I only have six (not including my two gel bronzers, Benefit Talk To The Tan and Too Faced Primed & Poreless Bronze Tint)


Wet n Wild ColorIcon Bronzer in Princess (top left)
This is another bronzer that I purchased due to rave reviews on the blogosphere!  I was always afraid of how dark it looked in the pan, but it's really all about having a light hand.  It's shimmery, so when I use  it I only apply sparingly along my cheekbones, nose, and temples and then buff out.  I also used this on films last semester because it helped make sure the actors' faces didn't get washed out by the lighting/camera (it was also a pretty universal color, as we didn't have a budget to buy different makeup for everyone!).  I don't get much use out of this, as I find it's just too shimmery and dark for my liking.  I think the color would be better on someone with a warmer skin tone.

ELF Studio Contouring Blush & Bronzing Powder  (top right)
This bronzer is what I contoured with a lot over the last year.  Even though it has tiny glitter particles in it, they don't really transfer onto your skin.  It has also been my bronzer of choice for its pigmentation and color.  It's dark if you apply too much, but a quick dusting along my cheeks, temples, and nose give me just a healthy amount of color.  I'm actually surprised I haven't hit pan on this yet, as I used to use it almost every day!  It's a high favorite of mine, and I might repurchase just because when I run out- I've also found myself using the blush out of sheer laziness because its pretty and in the same package as the bronzer. ;)

ELF Studio Golden Bronzer (bottom right)
I used to apply this all over my face last summer, can you believe it?!  It's gorgeous don't get me wrong, but very frosty (not so much shimmery).  You can tell by the pan how much I loved it- this, along with the above Contouring Blush & Bronzing Powder were my two favorite bronzers last year.  I still love this every once in awhile when I want a multitasking bronzer and highlighter, but only on my cheeks/nose and then buffed out.  It's also probably too light for most people darker than an NC20- it hardly gives my face much color, but just enough to add a healthy "glow".  Really pretty- it flawlessly achieves that dewy look. 


MAC Mineralize Skinfinish in Cheeky Bronze (LE- lower right corner)
I got this as a giveaway prize from Arezu last fall, but save it for special occasions.  I've come to the conclusions that MSFs aren't my thing- too shimmery/glittery- but this one is really pretty for that "summer bronzed" look.  I sweep it along my cheekbones either by itself or atop my Physicians Formula Mineral blush in Pink Glow (a matte peach blush) for a sunkissed look.  This would probably flatter warmer skin tones better, but I try to make it work!

Rimmel Natural Bronzer in Sun Light (far left)
This is a natural matte bronzer that is perfect for contouring, and has recently become a favorite of mine.  It's more pigmented than the N.Y.C. Bronzing Powder, but still light so it's hard to overdo.  It's affordable between $3-$5, and the lightest of the three total shade offerings from this line.  I think a matte bronzer is an essential in everyone's makeup collection and I'm shocked that I only started using one this year!  I do wish it were a tiny bit darker in color, but it suits my fair skin just fine how it is.

NYC Bronzing Powder in Sunny (top middle)
Hello, new addition to my collection!  I just picked this up after seeing and reading about it for the longest time.  I got it home and realized it was close in color and finish to my Rimmel Natural Bronzer, because it's matte as well.  It's nice in that the color is natural on my light skin and it's great for contouring, and the pigmentation is much better when applied on your face versus the swatches below (for the swatches I had to rub my finger across the pan three times to get the payoff you see).  It's a great price though ($2.99), and does what it's supposed to do.  I love this so far and have been using it every day this week!

Daylight, flash
Note: Rimmel bronzer is Sun LIGHT not Sun Dance as labeled in the picture above, sorry!

Daylight, no flash
Same order as above

That's it!  Do you wear bronzer? (I know some people embrace their paleness, and if you do, I totally envy you and hope you can rub some of that off on me! ;) What are your favorites?  
Hope you all are having a great day! :)