Saturday, October 2, 2010

Velcro Rollers Tutorial


Several people have asked me to explain how I use Velcro rollers to add volume and body to my hair.  Velcro rollers are inexpensive (as low as $1 for 4 rollers) and easy to find.  They are sold at Walmart, drugstores, and even most grocery stores.  For this look, I used the jumbo sized rollers (1 ½ - 2”).  The larger the roller, the more volume you will get.  The smaller the roller, the more curl you will get.  These large rollers give you body with a slight bend at the end of your hair.  This looks takes me about 40 minutes, but only 10 minutes to roll, then 30 minutes to wait while hair sets.



What You Need:
On damp hair:
                * Heat Protectant Spray
                * Root Lifter or Mousse
                * No Frizz Shine Spray
On dry hair:
                * Hair spray
                * Flat iron
                * Velcro Rollers (I use about 16 but you may need more or less, depending on your hair.)
Optional:
                * Clips to hold in rollers
                * Blow dryer
* Comb

To Prepare: I applied heat protectant to all of my hair.  I put root lifter in the roots only, and sprayed all of my hair with a good bit of shine spray to control frizz, because it was raining today.  Then, I allowed my hair to air dry until it was almost completely dry.  I blow dried the last bit of moisture out to save time.  You can choose to blow dry or not.







To Roll: Starting at the front and center of your head, take a 1 ½” wide section of hair that is about 1” thick.  Comb out tangles, then quickly run a heated flat iron through the hair.  (You don’t have to flat iron, but I find it helps fight frizz and the heat helps hold the style better.)  Spritz roots with hairspray, then roll the hair under the roller towards your head.  See picture.  The Velcro should hold it to your head, but for extra support, you can add a metal or plastic clip to hold the roller.  Continue this process back the center of your head, then along both sides until all hair is rolled.


To Set: Once all of the hair is rolled, use a high heat, low speed setting on your blow dryer.  Heat up each individual roll until it is warm to the touch.  Your hair takes shape when it goes from hot to cool so you will need time for the rollers to cool.  I let my hair set for 30 minutes before taking it out.  The rollers need to be cool before removing them.  You can do your makeup or get breakfast while you wait.

To Style: Starting from the bottom, remove the clips, then the rollers, one at a time.  Once all the rollers are out, your hair will probably be crazy big.  I take a wide tooth comb and gently comb my hair so it looks normal and flows.  You don’t want people to tell where the sections of hair were in different rollers.  Hairspray the final look and you are done!