Saturday, October 2, 2010

Review: L'Oreal Extra Volume Collagen mascara

It occurred to me the other day that I haven't done a review of the mascara I've been using- L'Oreal Extra Volume Collagen.  I purchased this awhile ago but was finishing up my L'Oreal Bare Naturale mascara, so I was able to let this one "thicken up" a bit before using it.  Now this is my daily mascara- you've seen it in my recent EOTDs and looks.

L'Oreal Extra Volume Collagen mascara in Black
What it claims: (From lorealparisusa.com:)
Made with hydra-collagen, it enhances the thickness of your lashes for up to 12X more impact without any clumps.  Our patented brush is 50% bigger so it builds that incredible volume fast.  Your lashes will build extra body and extra impact in just one sweep.
 So, this is basically a thickening/volumizing mascara.

Price: $8.99 at Walgreens (0.34oz)


Brush:  The brush is big, and as you can see it's not the typical "fat" kind that come with many mascaras.  It curves inwards in the middle and then tapers to a point at the end.  I don't know what this does to help thicken/volumize my lashes any, but it's fairly easy to use/get used to.  Although I would caution anyone with particularly small eyes because of the size of the brush.

Quality/performance:  Having used this for a few months now, I really like the drama it gives me.  It "gets them up there" in terms of length, and does a good job thickening/adding volume as well.  I'm surprised at the length part especially since this isn't a "lengthening" mascara.
Throughout the day, my curl holds very well.  I don't notice any flaking/smudging after a day's wear, and it's easy to take off with makeup remover.  
I definitely should stress that this gives me drama- for lack of a better word!  I wouldn't call this a natural daytime mascara at all.  The effect is dark, look-at-me lashes, not "fluttery" or neutral.
In terms of clumps, as long as you don't pile this one you won't run into problems.  I've found I even prefer just one coat for daytime, and then another for night.  

Naked lashes, curled:

One coat of Extra Volume Collagen:

Two coats:

Overall, I'd definitely repurchase this if I didn't feel the need to try something different every time.  My next mascara is actually going to be something that will (hopefully) give me more natural-looking lashes- like the effect I got with my L'Oreal Bare Naturale.  I loved that one!  Sadly, it ran out on me before I got around to doing a review, but it gave me awesome, fluttery lashes that didn't scream "MASCARA".

Pros:
- Affordable, easily available
- Dark, thick lashes
- Gives good length
- Great for dramatic or nighttime looks, and daytime too if you're like me and love dramatic lashes all the time!
- Doesn't flake or smudge, easy to remove

Cons:
- Doesn't give you natural-looking lashes

Have you tried this mascara?  What'd you think of it?  Or, what mascara are you currently using?  Any recommendations for a good natural mascara?