Sunday, October 3, 2010

Regret Buys: 3 Wet N Wild Face Products


I had this great idea that I would start a mini-series on one brand makeup looks.  In other words, I would do an entire look with products exclusively from one brand.  It seemed like a fun challenge and I thought this might work well for people who are very loyal to one or two brands.  It turned out to be not such a hot idea.

The first brand I was planning to do was Wet N Wild because I already had a lot of their things and Walgreens was running a 50% off sale for this brand.  To complete the look, I picked up (among other, more fun things) their Intuitive Blend Shade Adjusting Foundation in Fair, Cover All Cover Stick in Light, and Natural Blend Pressed Powder in Bare.

Intuituve Blend Shade Adjusting Foundation:
When I swatched this on my hand, I thought it seemed too good to be true.  It blended out right away to the same shade as my hand.  Not so for my face.  On my face, it didn’t blend at all!  Not only did it not match my face, but it dried in literally about 2 seconds so I couldn’t blend it and had a line under my nose.  Even though my camera is really forgiving, you can still see the line in the picture I took.  Awful!  Also, it felt really greasy and slimy on my face and I could feel it sitting there, which is not a quality I want in my makeup.  It has oil in it and an overbearing amount of perfume, two things that irritate acne-prone skin like mine.

1 out of 5 stars
Will NEVER buy again or even use again

Cover All Cover Stick:
I really should have known better on this one.  I’ve tried 4 or 5 other concealer sticks, and none of them ever work on my dark circles and this was one of the crummier of stick concealers I’ve used.  Needless to say, this one was no different from the others.  It just plain goes on rather sheer, and if I need concealer, I need it pigmented, not sheer.

1 out of 5 stars
Will never buy again but might have a good use to erase lips for a nude lip look… haven’t tried it yet though.



Natural Blend Pressed Powder:
My first instinct before even buying this was that it was too dark.  I should have known, but Walgreens only carried 3 shades and I got the lightest shade.  But then when I got home and looked online this “lightest” shade is actually the middle shade from this product.  Now I admit it isn’t Wet N Wild’s fault that Walgreens has a crummy selection of their products.  Still, I wonder whose skin is orange enough to match this even if you were darker than me.  Beyond being too dark, this powder feels horrible on the skin.  Again, it contains oil and this time it doesn’t have a perfume smell, but smells terribly like old lady makeup mixed with spackling.  When applied, you can again feel it on your face in a cakey, thick, awful feeling.  Terrible product.

0 out of 5 stars
Will never buy again or allow to come within 10 feet of my face