Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Tip: Get more out of your concealer

The other day I was at the Clinique counter (after I finished my shift at work) getting the 3-step skincare routine done on me, and I learned some pretty awesome stuff.  The girl working did the 3-step on half of my face and then re-did my face makeup so I could leave looking presentable.  And that's when she told me...
how you can make your concealer last so much longer!


Now what she did was combine Clinique All About Eyes eye cream with the Line Smoothing concealer, and used the mixture on my under eye circles.  Her claim was that the eye cream helps depuff/reduce darkness as well as helping the concealer adhere to the skin and blend better.
You don't really need a specific eye cream to get the effect, though, as I don't believe the hype surrounding them anyway.  I tried this using my trusty Aveeno Daily Moisturizing lotion and it worked just as well.
Well, she also told me you only need about half as much concealer when you do this, which makes perfect sense right?  And to my surprise it totally works.  My under eye circles were just as concealed using this technique as they were using double as much concealer.
(For funnies, I am totally loving the Clinique Line Smoothing concealer.  It erases my under eye circles like no one's business.  I used it sparingly on my acne scars today, and it covered those too.  Yay!)

Look!  (For the swatches/demonstration I used Clinique All About Eyes cream- it's my mom's- and Clinique Quick Corrector concealer in Moderately Fair)

Left: All About Eyes, Right: Quick Corrector concealer

Left: All About Eyes, Middle: All About Eyes+ concealer mixed together, Right: one swatch of cream+concealer blend

That middle swatch is about enough product to cover both under eye areas and then some, and I started with about the same amount I would originally use for just one eye.  So being someone who wants to stretch their dollar in every possible way, I love this idea.  It makes your concealer last about twice as long, as well as helps in a better application (blends better, more smoothly).
And keep in mind that although I used All About Eyes eye cream for this,  you can definitely use a regular facial lotion.  I just happened to have what the Clinique girl recommended on hand, so I used that for the post.

Hope you guys are having a great start to your week, after the long weekend!  I had to work yesterday (Fourth of July), but I didn't have plans otherwise so it was ok. :)
xox