Monday, July 25, 2011

ELF Mineral Booster in Sheer fits the bill- does it make the grade?

I got this a month ago in my last ELF order and promised its own post/review, so here goes!  This was my most-wanted ELF product for a long time, after hearing so many comparisons between it and Bare Minerals Mineral Veil.  Since running out of my Mineral Veil a couple months ago, I hold it as my 'powder standard'.  There's something about it that I just love but can't quite put my finger on!  It just made my face look so healthy and glowy without being shimmery/glittery/shiny, and I've been trying to find a good replacement that's cheaper.
So, when I saw the ELF Mineral Booster in Sheer online, I knew I had to try it.  Keep reading to see what I think about it!



The Mineral Booster is available in two sizes, small (0.17oz) and large (0.63oz)- the size I have is small.  It retails for $5 on the ELF website, described as:
Achieve the ultimate, translucent "photo finishing touch" to your makeup, our Mineral Booster melts into your skin, infusing it with key vitamins A, B and E to promote healthier skin that’s noticeably silkier and smoother. Completely sheer and ideal for all skin tones, Mineral Booster gently absorbs oil and minimizes the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines and pores for a beautiful even finish. Wear alone or buff over our Mineral Concealer and Foundation to lend extra staying power and to achieve a professional and stunning porcelain matte look that will last all day. 
So, it's supposed to give you that photo-finished 'airbrushed' look (which is the minimizing appearance of wrinkles part), absorb oil, and reduce the appearance of pores.  And it's supposed to last all day.



Color/coverage:  In the pot it looks tinted, but the color goes on sheer for me (as it's supposed to be!)- I have read reviews that this looks too dark on some people, so that's something to keep in mind.  I can imagine this would look ashy on darker skin tones, but I can't say for sure; it matches my skin pretty spot-on. 

Consistency:  I hope you can tell from the pictures how fine-milled the powder is.  This is probably one of my favorite qualities because it makes it blend into your skin easier.  You don't get that "I just applied powder I look cakey" look, and you can't even tell you have powder on, woot!  I have normal skin with a slightly oily t-zone, but I typically don't have a problem with oiliness- I don't like to pack on powder products.  Any finishing powder that sets my makeup without looking cakey ranks high on my list!
Quality (Oil control, lasting ability, photo-flawless look):  I tried this over both liquid and powder foundation (powder being Bare Minerals).  In terms of oil control, this is so-so.  Like I said above, I'm not super oily but in the summertime/humidity I need extra help.  I find I need to powder my t-zone once during the middle of the day when I use the Mineral Booster- it doesn't last me all day.  It does set my makeup nicely and gives me a nice finishing touch, but it's a little matte for my liking.  I loved Bare Minerals Mineral Veil for its not-quite-matte glowy finish, and this doesn't fit that exactly.  However, it's definitely the closest thing I've found to replacing the Mineral Veil!  I'd say if you have combination to oily skin, you should look elsewhere for an oil-controlling powder (unless you don't mind touching up).


I do like this powder, but it didn't reach HG status for me- I'm still in the market for a finishing powder that gives me that healthy, glowy look.  I also need something that lasts longer in the summertime when it's hot and humid!

I actually wore this for the whole week straight after I received my ELF order, and then switched back to my ELF Studio Complexion Perfection (the one I'm trying to finish).  I've had to force myself to stick with Complexion Perfection because that's super matte.  Ugh.  It's almost done... just a few more weeks.  ;)

SO.  I'd recommend this if you don't get too oily and want a budget-friendly translucent powder that doesn't cake.  It looks great over liquid and powder makeup but doesn't last all day on combination skin, unfortunately.  

Have you tried this?  Did you like it?