Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Self -Expression Gone Too Far?


Illamasqua is a brand I had a huge amount of respect for. But its recent ideas have confused me slightly. Like the make up obsessed freak I am, when I found Illamasqua a few years ago, I kept its sheer brilliance to myself and didn't tell my friends about it. I admire its beautiful creativity, its bright colours and claim that everyone should dare to be different with their style and make up. In a world where most make up brands often offer similar products and styles, its so refreshing to see a company that produces bold colours, crazy eyeshadows and mad lipsticks. When I received an email announcing a new idea this morning, I fear (though my love for Alex Box never sways) they may have gone a tad overboard:

Launched today, The Final Act of Self-Expression is a bespoke offering, providing professional funeral make-up transformations, applied by a specially trained Illamasqua make-up artist.
As a brand Illamasqua, aims to continually inspire people to express their individuality and embrace their alter ego in every way.
The Final Act of Self-Expression allows people for whom the art of making-up is an intimate part of their identity to plan their final transformation - one that pays tribute to who they were in life.
It's a bit morbid isn't it? After reading and rereading to make sure I was understanding correctly that Illamasqua are now offering makeovers for dead people, I thought about what kind of person would use this service. As a make up lover and make up artist in training, I can see why people who have immersed themselves in life would also want that in death. But, really? Are you really that bothered spending a minimum of $450 on their dead face? Emphasis on dead.

I'm unsure of my thoughts on this. While I lean towards the 'slightly horrified' category, I can't help but be mildly impressed. Not only does this stink of Illamasqua individuality and craziness, but its great publicity for the brand. However, I think I'll be buried au natural. What do you think of this new service? Is it something you would be interested in or do you find it morbid and desperately attention-seeking?