Monday, February 28, 2011

Can't live without them- my favorite makeup brushes

Good makeup brushes are one of those things that are absolutely essential, but I seem to always hate dishing out money for.  I own two MAC brushes, the 224 and 252, and they are ones my mom bought for me the first time I ever got my makeup done (My 13th birthday.  Aw, good memories!).  Those are my only "high-end" brushes; the rest are all very affordable.  I'm not sure yet where I stand in the "drugstore or high-end debate" when it comes to brushes, because although I don't think you should have to spend top dollar for them, my MAC brushes are pretty amazing- and I'm sure they will last me as long as I want them to (with care, of course).  With my lower-end brushes, I'm constantly wondering how many years I will get out of them before I have to repurchase.  But I digress!
Today I'm going to share with you my favorites from my (small) collection and what I like about them.

(Left to right:  MAC 224, ELF essentials definer, ELF essentials eyeshadow, Bare Escentuals concealer, EcoTools bamboo bronzer, ELF studio powder)

Eyes:

MAC 224-  I love, love, love, love this brush and am so glad I own it.  I've never had problems blending out eyeshadows, because this is perfect for doing that "windshield wiper" method and eliminating harsh lines.  If you take good care and wash it regularly, it will keep it's slightly pointed tip which allows it to work well in the outer corner area.  It's in line with the high-quality everyone talks about with MAC brushes.

ELF essentials eye definer brush-  I go through phases where I love and feel indifferent about this brush, but it needs to be in my collection nonetheless.  It is perfect for doing outer corner/"v" work, especially when you do the index card trick (holding up an index card along the line of your eye to make the perfect winged eyeshadow look).  And, like my other ELF brush below, it's only $1.

ELF essentials eyeshadow brush-  For $1, this eyeshadow brush is a great buy for your standard application of lid color.  I've had mine for almost three years (I'm pretty sure?) and it's kept its shape and has yet to shed.  It's also a good size for my lid area- my other MAC brush, the 252, is a little too large unless I'm only doing a wash of one color.  

I wish I could say I had more favorite eye brushes, but 1) my collection isn't too big, and 2) these are the ones I would actually recommend to others.  I definitely have a list of eye brushes I want/need to purchase!

Face:

Bare Escentuals maximum cover concealer brush-  This was in my Bare Minerals starter kit that I received for Christmas.  I've never used brushes for concealer prior to owning this- I didn't think they would be any better than my fingers.  Well, when I need any extra help covering pimples or dark spots, this guy works wonders.  I love using it with my Bare Minerals foundation on the redness around my nose and underneath my eyes.  And it hasn't shed or bled once.

EcoTools bamboo bronzer brush- If there is one brush I would recommend from all of these, it's this one!  I take this everywhere and probably couldn't live without it.  It's unbelievably soft, it never sheds, and it gives me the best application of mineral powder foundation/blush/bronzer ever.  It's bulky which is annoying for travel, but I still think it's well worth it.  And it's around $10 at most drugstores.  

ELF studio powder brush-  This brush is a love/hate (it's also in my "brushes I wouldn't buy again" post to come).  I'm glad I have it because the few times I use tinted moisturizer or any liquid foundation (hardly ever), I stipple it on using this.  It's also great for applying loose powder.  However, the ferrule of mine has partly detached from the handle, so I have to hold it in place.  It just really makes the brush feel cheap.  I can't complain since it's only $3, but something like that is annoying.

Stay tuned for my post about the brushes I'm "meh" about!  
Any of these that you like or dislike?  I'd love to hear from you.