Saturday, September 11, 2010

Maybelline Dream Smooth Mousse foundation

Happy birthday to me....!   Haha.  Finally!  It feels like I've been waiting/anticipating my 19th birthday for a long time.  My friends are going to a school thing during the day today, but later we're going to a really amazing true Chicago-style pizza place.  Yum.

Anyway, the Maybelline Dream Smooth Mousse foundation was one I heard both good and "meh" reviews about.  I really had no intention of buying it, especially since I'm not too into foundation, but I found it on clearance at Walgreens for $4.99 this week and decided to try it.  Besides, I've been curious about this line ever since Maybelline came out with it.

I'm actually coming around to it quite a bit!  I was going to do a full review on it, but decided against it.  I've said time and time again that I'm not keen on foundations, so I don't consider myself "qualified" to write you a review of this.  I thought instead I'd just give you a run-down of what I like/dislike about it.

So enough talking, let's begin!



The packaging is a little bulky IMO; it's a thick plastic jar with a top that lifts up to reveal the sponge applicator.  You have to unscrew the lid to get to the foundation.

I got mine in the color 200 Creamy Natural.  It's kind of hard to tell what the color looks like from the jar (As in when you're in the store), and after looking at the shades available online I was surprised to find this was 3 away from the lightest shade.  Anyway, it looks a lot darker in the pan than it does on my skin, but's actually a pretty close match for me (Which was hard to believe- I thought I was lighter than this!).

Anyway, here is a swatch of the product- one light swipe of my finger.  You can tell how pigmented this stuff is:

It has that awesome mousse consistency that I wanted to try so badly!  Now, I haven't tried many medium-full coverage foundations, but I'd say this lies within the light to more medium range and is pretty buildable.  Does that sound about right?  

I used my ELF Studio powder brush to apply it, and was able to use a small amount for a fairly light application.  This is great for me because I hate foundations that 1) feel like you have makeup on, and 2) look like you have it on.  I'm trying to just get used to having more than powder on my face, too.  This has been fairly easy to get used to so far.

Here's a picture of what it looks like on me, after applying powder:

I'm just thankful that it gives me pretty natural-looking coverage.
I do notice a little fading at the end of the day, however I was doing comparisons after my gym workout, so maybe I should have checked how it looked before sweating!  I did read that this was a problem for some people though.

I'm going to keep using this for awhile, especially since I've been breaking out more and need heavier coverage than I used to. 

Have you tried this, or are you using it currently?  What are your thoughts on it?  Feel free to expand in the comments!